(3) Notre Dame 69 (14) Northeastern 65 - Notre Dame survived a close one on a day that would turn out to be quite rough on #3 seeds.
(6) Butler 56 (11) Texas 48 - Texas became the third team from the Big 12 to lose in just the first six games of the second round.
(14) UAB 60 (3) Iowa State 59 - undeniably the shocker of the day had the UAB Blazers knocking off the #3 seed in the South region. The Blazers, winners of the Conference-USA tournament, took out the Cyclones with a daring display of defense, holding Iowa State (Big 12 tourney champs) to 37% shooting and out-rebounding them, 52-37.
William Lee's jumper at 0:26 in the second half, put the Blazers up by a point and his two free throws gave the Blazers a three-point advantage, at 60-57, with 12 seconds left. Iowa State's Naz Long missed a three-pointer, but Monte Morris got the tip-in for a one-point game with three seconds left. The Shockers could not foul any UAB players as time expired.
Lee finished with 14 points and 12 rebounds.
(11) UCLA 60 (6) SMU 59 - Conference-USA is one-and-done as Larry Brown's Mustangs are corralled by the PAC-12's UCLA Bruins.
(14) Georgia State 57 (3) Baylor 56 - Sport reporters were still writing up the UAB upset of Iowa State when Baylor made it the second team from the Big 12 to get dumped within an hour's time. Notably, Baylor was also a #3 seed. George State, champions of the Sun Belt, turned the tables on the Bear off R.J. Hunter's three-pointer with three seconds left.
(2) Arizona 93 (15) Texas Southern 72 - Rondae Hollis-Jefferson scored 23 points and grabbed 10 boards as the Wildcats dominated.
(6) Xavier 76 (11) Mississippi 57 - Xavier was never challenged by the Rebels, who shot just XX%
(10) Ohio State 75 (7) VCU 72 - The Buckeyes fought back from a 12-point, first half deficit and prevailed in overtime. Buckeye freshman D'Angelo Russell scored 28 points, with six rebounds, an assist, two steals and two blocks to nab player of the day honors.
Conference Power Scoreboard
|Conference||W-L||Winners (#of Ws)|
|ACC||1-0||Notre Dame (1)|
|Big East||2-0||Butler (1), Xavier (1)|
|Big Ten||1-0||Ohio State (1)|
|Pac-12||2-0||UCLA (1), Arizona (1)|
|SEC||1-1||Ole Miss (1)|
|All Others||5-7||Hampton(1), Robert Morris (1), Dayton (1), UAB (1), Georgia St. (1)|