Round of 64 Late Friday Scores and Highlights
College Hoops Player of the Day for Friday, March 20, 2015
(8) Oregon 79, (9) Oklahoma State 73 - A statistically close game, as the score indicates, the real difference was that Oregon simply shot the lights out, especially late in the contest, hitting a cool 55% from the field, and from the foul line, where they went 14-for-18 (78%). Of all the Ducks, the loudest quacks came from Joseph Young, who led all scorers with 27 points.
Young played all 40 minutes, hit eight of 15 from the field, including 3-for-6 from beyond the arc, and was 8-for-8 from the charity stripe. Young also had four rebounds, four assists, a steal and did not commit a single foul. Exceptional.
Of the seven teams that came to the tourney from the Big 12, Oklahoma State was the fourth to lose in the opening round, joining Iowa State, Baylor and Texas on the bus back home. Kansas, West Virginia and Oklahoma remain alive.
(1) Duke 85, (16) Robert Morris 56 - As expected, the Blue Devils simply blew out their opponents from the Northeast Conference, blistering the nets at a 63% rate for the game. Quinn Cook had 22, Jahlil Okafor, 21.
(7) Iowa 83, (10) Davidson 52 - Iowa shot 51% for the game and turned this 7-10 match-up into a complete rout, registering the biggest blowout of the day. The win was the first in the tournament for the Hawkeyes since 2001.
(3) Oklahoma 69, (14) Albany 60 - The Sooners took a nine-point lead into half time and maintained it to move forward.
(1) Wisconsin 86, (16) Coastal Carolina 72 - The more resembled a scrimmage or shoot-around from Wisconsin's perspective, as they were never threatened. Frank Kaminsky was tops in scoring, rebounding and assists, with 27, 12 and 4.
(8) San Diego St 76, (9) St. John's 64 - With 6:25 left in the first half, Dwayne Polee II connected on a three-pointer to give the Aztecs a two-point advantage and they were never tied nor gave up the lead after that, holding the Red Storm at a comfortable distance throughout the remainder of the game.
(2) Gonzaga 86, (15) North Dakota St. 76 - The Bison hung in for the first seven minutes of the game, at which point the Zags took the lead for good. Gonzaga established and maintained a double-digit lead for the remainder of the festivities.
(11) Dayton 66, (6) Providence 53 - Representing well for the Atlantic 10, Dayton kept the Friars at bay throughout the second half and were not threatened late.
Conference Power Scoreboard
|Conference||W-L||Winners (# of Ws)|
|ACC||7-0||Notre Dame (1), NC State (1), North Carolina (1), Arkansas (1), Virginia (1), Duke (1), Louisville (1)|
|Big East||4-2||Butler (1), Xavier (1), Villanova (1), Georgetown (1)|
|Big Ten||5-2||Ohio State (1), Michigan St. (1), Maryland (1), Iowa (1), Wisconsin (1)|
|Big 12||3-4||Kansas (1), West Virginia (1), Oklahoma (1)|
|Pac-12||4-0||UCLA (1), Arizona (1), Utah (1), Oregon (1)|
|SEC||2-3||Ole Miss (1), Kentucky (1)|
|All Others||11-24||Hampton(1), Robert Morris (1), Dayton (1), UAB (1), Georgia St. (1), Cincinnati (1), N. Iowa (1), Wichita St. (1), San Diego State (1), Gonzaga (1), Dayton (1)|